Saturday, May 27, 2017

DIY Acrylic Dip Manicure

I stopped paying for manicures about 6 months ago. I couldn't afford them but despite my constant vitamin taking, my nails wouldn't grow in strong enough to stay long. Plus I love the look and feel of acrylic nails. So I went to Sally's and bought a gel manicure kit.

I had the hardest time applying this gel because you had to squeeze it on in an even layer and I just couldn't make it work. As I have said in previous blogs, because of my stroke my hands shake constantly. It is difficult enough just to paint them, much less squeeze gel onto them evenly. It was messy and uneven and I vowed never to do it again.

Then I went into Sally's one day to look at some makeup items for my kit and I came across an acrylic dip kit. I purchased this and gave it a shot. It comes with some white tips to glue on (though I prefer to use t he clear ones), nail glue to glue on the tips, Brush on nail glue, the acrylic powder, a setting spray and a very cheap nail file.

I have loved this kit and now continue to repurchase it. Here is my steps that I go through to do my manicure.





My nails are in pretty rough shape today, but here is what they looked like to start with.









I use this cuticle oil and push back and trim my cuticles.










I buy these nail tips and pick out a size that fits each nail and lay them out.





I glue the nails on using the stick of nail glue that comes with the kit. And then goof off and pretend that I might actually keep them this long before realizing that this is a completely ridiculous.














I then file down and shape the

nails. The major key is to file the tip down so that it is flush with your natural nail.











Now you get the rest of the kit out.







Here is the steps to applying this.

You paint on the brush on glue and dip your finger into the powder. I leave my finger in for about 5 seconds so that the glue can absorb as much as the glue as possible.

Then you use the body of the brush to tap the glue onto the powder. The powder will become soaked and turn a more clear color instead of a powder. But make sure that you wipe the brush off on a paper towel before you put it back into the container. If you don't, the brush will start to warp and get stiff and it makes it hard to brush on the glue.


Once the glue is coated in more glue you dip it into the powder again. Repeat this step one more time.

Once you have dipped your nail into the powder 3 times, you use the brush body and coat the nail in brush on glue once more. Now you spray it with the spray. Wait 5 seconds and brush on more glue and spray it again. After 5 more seconds you brush on and spray one final time. Do this on every nail. It will look uneven and dilapidated.




Now you file... and file... and file. I get a file a file at Sally's that is very coarse and then one that is less coarse and alternate between them. File them into the shape and thickness that you want. Then wash your hands and I advise putting on some thick lotion. Mine look like this when I am

done.

And you are ready to paint them! I just love this kit! If you enjoyed this tutorial give it a Google+ thumbs up! Follow in the spot on the right side of this page if you would like updates when I post new blogs! Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment